Job Openings > Senior COBOL Developer
Senior COBOL Developer – Remote – Canada
We are hiring at Aspire Software for a Senior COBOL Developer to join our growing team!
We seek a passionate and highly skilled Senior COBOL Developer to be part of an agile team that works to enhance, design, and deliver technology products in a secure, stable, and scalable way. As an emerging member of a software engineering team, you execute software solutions through the design, development, and technical troubleshooting of multiple components within a technical product, application or system while gaining the skills and experience needed to grow within your role.
Here is a little window into our company: Aspire Software, the operational arm of Valsoft Corp, operates and manages Valsoft’s global portfolio of wholly owned software companies, providing mission-critical solutions across multiple verticals. By implementing industry best practices, Aspire delivers a time-sensitive integration process, and the operation of a decentralized model has allowed it to become a hub for creating rapid growth by reinvesting in its portfolio.
The successful candidate can live anywhere in Canada, working remotely from home!
What your day will look like:
- Engage with the team to design and develop best-in-class features
- Collaborate with cross-functional peers as we productize your work
- Innovate as you research new technologies and resolve complex problems
- Construct and contribute to major project high-level design strategy
- Help the team to define the roadmap and make decisions
- Executes standard software solutions, design, development, and technical troubleshooting
- Writes secure and high-quality code using the syntax of at least one programming language with limited guidance
- Designs, develops, codes, and troubleshoots with consideration of upstream and downstream systems and technical implications
- Applies knowledge of tools within the Software Development Life Cycle toolchain to improve the value realization by automation
- Applies technical troubleshooting to break down solutions and solve technical problems of basic complexity
- Gathers, analyzes and draws conclusions from large, diverse data sets to identify problems and contribute to decision-making in service of secure, stable application development
- Learns and applies systems processes, methodology, and skills for the development of secure, stable code and systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering program essential
- Experience in COBOL 85
- Experience in developing browser applications using APIs to interface with a COBOL core application.
- Experience in using the GIT software management program, including advanced features such as rebasing, reset, reflog, etc.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Capable of delivering on multiple competing priorities with little supervision
- Excellent verbal and written English communications skills
- Natural curiosity, creativity, and effective problem-solving skills, with a passion for tackling challenges
- Ability to adapt and learn in a fast-paced environment
- Highly capable, self-motivated, collaborative, and personable, with a drive for integrity and excellence
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational skills and teamwork skills
- A 'roll up the sleeves' attitude
- Being fluent in English is essential, and having at least a professional level of French, both written and verbal, is highly desirable
- Legally authorized to work in Canada
- Familiarity with MicroFocus ACUCOBOL GT
- Familiar with Linux development environment
- Experience in an Agile environment, including continuous delivery in a SaaS environment
- Familiarity with Perl, C++, GO
- Familiarity with Docker
- Familiarity with IBM WebSphere MQ
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- Knowledge of automated testing industry best practices and trends
- Experience with test automation frameworks such as Selenium
For information about Aspire Software, please visit our website at www.aspiresoftware.com
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.